New website now live
The new Cuckfield Music Festival website is now live. The address is the same – www.cuckfieldmusicfest.co.uk but there’s more information than before to help you plan your programme for the week. Tickets will be bookable from 9th May (or 7 days earlier for “FRIENDS” see below) and there are new features to enjoy.
The Mingus Underground Octet make their debut at the Cuckfield Festival featuring renowned Danish jazz vocalist Sara Oschlag. As well as vocal numbers from the Mingus songbook the Octet will also perform a selection of well and lesser known instrumental pieces by and associated with Charles Mingus including some from the seminal 1959 “Ah Um” album and will feature some of the finest improvising musicians on the scene today. Sara Oschlag, has made a name for herself all over the UK in leading bands for the last 10 years and has earned over 3million views on YouTube.
This is a real opportunity and a great coup for Cuckfield. Wednesday 15th June 7.30pm at Holy Trinity Church, Cuckfield
We are asking Cuckfield’s finest to say what their choice of music would be if they were to be invited onto Radio 4’s Desert Island.
This month we are marooning Andrew Leask, Mayor of The Independent State of Cuckfield:
1. Brothers in arms, Dire Straits
2. The way it is, Bruce Hornsby and the range
3. Up&Up, Coldplay
4. I can see clearly now, Jimmy Cliff
5. Justify Me, Nate James
6. Uncertain smile, The The
7. Summertime, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
8. Where love lives, Alison Limerick
A little help from our friends…
As a not-for-profit organisation we want to use the revenues we raise each year to further the performance and enjoyment of music in the area. We want to encourage musicians of all ages and particularly schoolchildren and students at music colleges through the opportunity to experience performing on a ‘professional’ stage.
This year’s programme will do exactly this.
We have launched the CMF FRIENDS group which gives members the opportunity to contribute to our work and receive a number of ‘thank-you’s’ in return.
For just £25.00 a year you get priority booking on tickets before they go on sale to the general public, 10% discount on tickets for the Festival and advance information on events and offers.
It’s easy to join, simply go to the website and click on the FRIENDS button or CLICK HERE . It really will make a big difference (and you’ll feel great about it too).
TEST YOUR MUSICAL KNOWLEDGE
5 quick questions for you. Answers are below.
- How many pieces of music were written by Mozart? Was it (a) 340 (b) over 400 (c) over 600 or (d) 927?
- What nationality were Anton Bruckner and Gustav Mahler?
- Different songs called “My Love” were recorded by four different artists between 1965 and 2000. How many can you name?
- Jazz legend Charles Mingus (1922–1979) played which instrument?
- Which American mathematics lecturer was responsible for songs including “The Elements” and “Poisoning Pigeons in the park”
MONEY MONEY MONEY
Did you know you could sponsor a Festival event for as little as £100? Your name, or your company name could be up there alongside our amazing group of performers, and it would make a big difference to the work we can do to support music in Mid-Sussex.
We are especially focussed on young musicians as you’ll see when our full programme is announced. If you can help, please email email@example.com
- (c) over 600
- Petula Clark (1965), Paul McCartney and Wings (1973), Lionel Richie (1983), Westlife (2000)
- Double bass
- Tom Lehrer